Treatment Foster Care
When I first came to The Children’s Guild’s treatment foster care program, I was lost and alone. And even though I was really scared, I tried to be cool and act like it was no big deal. But the people at the guild accepted me for who I am, and were patient with me, and gave me the time and space I needed to figure some things out on my own. They supported me and helped me get my life back together again, and for that I’ll always be grateful.
Now More than Ever, We Celebrate our Foster Parents
Making a Difference in a Child’s Life
Children are still in need of safe and nurturing foster homes, and The Children’s Guild is recruiting treatment foster parents.
Attend one of our upcoming Virtual Informational Meetings via Zoom. All meetings take place on Wednesdays from 5: 00–6:30 p.m.
February 21, 2024
June 19, 2024
October 16, 2024
More than just foster care. Treatment Foster Care.
Treatment Foster Care is for children who have complex emotional problems and challenging behaviors due to adverse childhood experiences and the resulting trauma. These children cannot be responsibly served in a traditional foster home and are better served in a home and family setting, with highly trained, nurturing, and supervised treatment families, as opposed to a facility.
The goal of our Treatment Foster Care program is to teach the children and youth the values and life skills necessary for a successful life – one filled with caring, contribution and commitment. In order to achieve this goal, our families and staff provide trauma-informed services and care to each youth with the goal of developing resiliency.
The Children’s Guild Treatment Foster Care program adheres to the Program Standards of the Foster Family-based Treatment Association (FFTA).
After the Pre-service training, the potential foster parents are assessed via a home study, where a social worker will interview you and adults in your home on family history and current day to day lifestyle. Once completed you will become a certificated treatment foster parent.
Newly certified treatment foster parents are expected to attend at least six trainings in the first six months. Foster parents are given the opportunity to attend two trainings a month. Caseloads for licensed Masters in Social Work (LMSW) Clinicians are small to allow for extensive supervision, training, and support of the treatment parents as well as case management and counseling for the child.
The Children’s Guild Treatment Foster Care Program stresses permanency for each child in the program with the majority of youth discharged going to family settings including adoption.
Become a Treatment Parent
The Children’s Guild is recruiting treatment foster care parents in Baltimore City, and Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Harford, and Howard counties.
Foster Parent Training
When you become a foster care parent with The Children’s Guild, you will embark on a three-phase professional development and training experience that is both comprehensive and life-enhancing. Parents first learn and master our educational philosophy, Transformation Education, then build skills for being a successful treatment foster parent. Finally, parents participate in a home audit to ensure their readiness for foster parenting.
Parents in the Treatment Foster Care program receive specialized pre-service training in Transformation Education (TranZed), our approach to teaching children the values and life skills necessary for a successful life; one of caring, contribution, and commitment. Our training helps parents provide a home environment that stresses life skills, character development, wellness, spirituality, education, career exploration, citizenship development, study skills, and cultural experiences.
Ongoing training for treatment parents includes trauma-informed interventions, crisis intervention skills, life skills development, and brain-based interventions, as well as discussions and groups for support.
Following the initial certification as a Transformation Education Foster Home, foster parents receive annual TranZed re-certifications and participate in 40 hours of continued training each year.
For more information about Foster Parent Training please contact us.
Be A Foster Parent
Becoming a treatment foster care parent is a special gift you can give to a troubled child as well as yourself. Take this short quiz to see if foster parenting is right for you.
- Have you ever been told you have a way with kids?
- Are you the type of person who looks beyond behavior and what people are saying to understand what the child really wants and needs?
- Are you interested in making a genuine difference in the life of a traumatized child?
- Are you looking to provide a safe and nurturing home for a vulnerable and traumatized child?
- Are you looking to enhance your personal growth and your family’s?
If you answered yes to three of these questions, you could enrich your life and your family’s life, while receiving a tax-free stipend, by opening your home to a foster child.
If you’re not sure foster parenting is right for you, read Becoming A Foster Parent FAQ.
Benefits of Being a Foster Parent
- Create relationships that last a lifetime, by opening your home to a young person who is a good match for your family.
- Receive a tax-free stipend that pays for the needs of the foster child and reimbursements for your efforts parenting a child.
- Earn additional stipend after achieving Transformation Education (TranZed) Certification status.
- Obtain life-enhancing, professional training, and child-specific training to carry out every aspect of your foster parent role.
- Support for Foster Parents: When you become a treatment foster care parent with The Children’s Guild, you receive specialized support and assistance that will guide and enhance your foster parenting experience including:
- Weekly face-to-face contact with you and the young person in your home
- Activity planning support for family trips and outings
- Professionals on call for you 24 hours a day to support you when you need it
- Respite services
- Readily accessible outpatient mental health services